Saturday, November 04, 2006

Doodles and "The Rape Eye"



This is a phone doodle/warm-up drawing. The last couple of months have been so busy, that I've barely had time to draw. I mean beyond work drawing. Correcting the perspective on Prop designs, adjusting lines of action and acting in storyboard drawings isn't nearly as much fun as doing the drawings from start to finish.



This fellow runs the operations at The Giant Hand Carwash . He has a look that says "Draw me!" A bold look that I guess works for him. I keep expecting to see him in a movie, doing a drug deal or something of that ilk. The girl in the hat and glasses is from the same location waiting for here car to be finished.
My ability to draw women is woefully in adequate,. But even a poor drawing of a pretty girl will usually get their attention. (Just a side note for the single shy cartoonists out there. Draw, Draw, Draw them close to you......Okay that sounds creepy, but it really does help. Smile when they look at you and your rendering of them. Then take the next step and start talking to them. All the while keep smiling. I had a friend that used to ask me why it was, that when a woman caught me looking at her ass, they would smile and give me a happy " I caught you with your hand in the cookie jar." eyes, but when he was busted in the same activity they'd give him the I hate you eyes. The answer was simple. When he would look at them, without being aware of it, he would slip into his serious SEX face. We've all got a serious sex face, but a women shouldn't see your serious sex face until you're having serious sex with her. Then it's an appropriate and welcome intensity. If you have that look on your face the first time she lays eyes on you, that same intense stare that later she might love will be interpreted as only one thing. "The Rape Eye." So put a smile on your face, and she will most likely smile back.)

Listen to him ramble on. What a schmo.


More phone doodles. I don't care for most of these. But I like the little guy in the corner with the Stamp in his hand. I like a drawings that make me want to draw more, either to forward a storyline that the drawing conjured for me, or to lean in a direction of a particular mood.
The drawing of the girl on the bottom left side was me trying to remember my girlfriends features the day after I meet her.
I failed miserably at capturing her likeness. It got all clunky and formulaic. This is one of the dangers if your first art job/training was at an amusement park drawing caricatures of the hideous, draw the right eye, draw the bridge of the nose, draw the left eye formula . It's a ruinous way to learn.

I did warn you that this would be a place of incoherent thoughts right? Well since as Uncle Eddies has stated "They haven't invented a decent fake muscle shirt." I am off to the gym.
Have a great Saturday.
Go now! Get out amongst 'em and draw.

9 comments:

ithinkearthisheaven said...

wow you draw very nice

Ryan Khatam said...

nice drawings! the spongebob ones are really funny, & i like that girl with the big sunglasses. the stamper dude in the corner is really funny too & the long-faced guy above him is cool

hahaha "The Rape Eye." but what about the "Rape Mouth" ?? A combination of the two could make for a very scary situation

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

The "Rape Eye" post is hilarious! That's a story that would also sound good on film. If you knew how to upload things to YouTube you could film yourself telling stories like that and put the clip on the blog! Aaaargh! It's probably more trouble than it sounds!

katzenjammer studios said...

Vincent, you must be much more specific! What KIND of smile must one wear when eyeing women? Surely there are many different smiles in one's arsenal. Is it an innocent smile? A mischevious smile? Do you bite the lower lip? Does the mouth hang open?

I'm actually animating a scene like this for my film...

Vincent Waller said...

Hey Jorge,
The first couple of seasons of SpongeBob, the Storyboard writers cleaned their own boards. Which allowed more of the of their work and intent to show through the final product. Meaning it was much easier to look at an episode and see who penned it. Not unlike when you watch old Warners shorts you can tell who worked on them from scene to scene,.
But, because the shows weren't always consistent a storyboard clean-up crew was put together, and the storyboard writers would hand off the rough boards to them. Their job was to keep SpongeBob on model and staged in a consistent manner.

brian smith said...

these are really nice drawings vince. later.

Kali Fontecchio said...

I'll be watching out now for Rape Eye!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Art F.

Damned "rape eye". Got me tarred and feathered in Corpus once.

But, damn, was she hot!

Vincent Waller said...

That can really screw up visit to the beach.